David L. Masini
3091 Autumn Lake Dr
Aurora, IL 60504
29+ years providing technical support and strategic consulting services to multiple business entities including:
Aug/08 - Current
Senior Business Analyst, Information Systems - Navistar/International Harvester - Lisle, IL
Current and previous projects include analysis of existing applications for remediation and future configuration to support Parts Distribution Center expansion into Southern Africa (NITSA), certification for the Department of Defense "DPAS" (Defense Procurement and Allocation System) program as well as legacy integration with Oracle-based Demand Forecasting, Planning and Purchasing model.
May/07 - Aug/08
Manager, Information Systems - H. Poll Electric Company - Toledo, OH
Provided application development, data analysis, process flow documentation, network topology and stability for potential future migration. Other projects in process or completed include:
Implemented WatchGuard Firewall including UTM (Unified Threat Management) addressing Spam, Web-Browsing Monitor/Blocking as well as Zero-Day attacks (Layer 1 Security)
Implemented Trend Micro SMB Server and agents for desktops and Servers (Layer 2 Security)
Swapped generic Hubs with Netgear Managed Switches
Rebuild of core Routers and PTP T1 circuits to branch offices to support VOIP as well as SSL VPN
Refresh of desktop environment from mix of 95/98 desktops to XP Pro
Build Domain Model to replace Workgroup; implement Active Directory as controlling mechanism
Implement Internal MS Exchange 2007 to replace externally-hosted mail
Standardize backup and restore mechanisms using Symantec Backup Exec 12 and write policy for Disaster Recovery procedures
Implement RAID on all servers to support redundancy and SLA
Rebuild of the www.hpoll.com website utilizing html, Java, ASP.NET components (including aspNetMail, extenders, others); utilize CONNX to directly connect to legacy data
Implement QuikTech "QlikView" for Enterprise interactive KPI analysis; utilizing CONNX to access legacy data
Implement SAP/Business Objects Crystal Reports and Server components for Enterprise reporting; utilize CONNX to access legacy data
Oct/03 – Current
GUICorporation, Winter Haven, FL
Independent consulting organization focused on the SMB. Providing key services in the areas of Project Management, Network design and configuration, messaging infrastructure and strategic planning. Provide support for Win2003, Active Directory, DNS, WINS, File Services, IIS, WSUS, POP3 and SMTP. Other server platforms include Windows 2000, NT, AS/400 and VMS. Databases include SQL Server 2000, Access, DB/2 and legacy ISAM file systems. E-mail platforms include Exchange 2003 with OWA and SSL, Exchange 5.5, AS/400 NetMail and PMDF. Client platforms include XP Professional, XP Home and Windows NT. Application support includes MS Office 2003, 2000, pcAnywhere, Visio, Project 2003 and a mix of ERP distribution applications. CAT5e wired and wireless connectivity via 802.11a/b/g compliant access points. Development tools include KoolMoves Flash, ULead Menu Applets, FrontPage 2003 and SharePoint and Visual Web Developer to enhance functionality and navigation for pages. Fusion 9 Development and SMS (System Management Server) in testing phase. A short list of clients include:
· IDC Group, LLC (Nation-Wide)
Developed marketing presentations, collaboration web site and reporting requirements for major manufacturers of automotive components to support on-demand KPI analysis via the web. Tools used include SharePoint Portal Server (with Web Parts), Business Objects Report Server with Crystal Reports, Visual Web Developer and MS SQL as a back-end database.
· DSW Shoe Warehouse, Columbus, OH
Project Lead for the SW Florida region for installation of Cisco routers and Switches, access points, wiring and network devices to meet FTC Security compliance requirements. Managed Technical Assistants in work completion as well as meeting installation and configuration needs.
· Robert Half Technology, Orlando, FL
Assumed Roll of Trainer for major rollout (700+) of Tablet PC’s for Sepracor Pharmaceuticals sales organization. Trained users on tablet components and major systems including e-mail, security, high-speed access concepts and handwriting recognition software.
· AutoBranch, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Analyzed existing network, backup and disaster recovery. Provided comprehensive plan to rebuild network infrastructure enhancing wireless, adding servers for backup, recovery and user shares, reconfiguring gateway to simplify access to Micro21 and include print servers to standardize access to local print devices.
· The Mail House, Winter Haven, FL)
Reconfigured and optimized the internal network; converted parallel line printers and lasers to pure-play IP and installed NAS appliance to provide continuous backup protection.
Aug/99 – Oct/03
Director, IT - Dependable Component Supply - Deerfield Beach, FL
Joined organization with immediate responsibility for rebuilding I.T. infrastructure including midrange systems, network topology, desktops, telecommunications, vendor relations and internal and external resource allocations. Directed several strategic initiatives to support 18-month growth from $8 million to $103 million. Projects included:
Infrastructure, Networks and Operations –
· Relocated data center. Moved all mission-critical equipment from standard line to conditioned/backup power systems.
· Managed contractor resources for rewiring of all facilities (Corporate and 4 branch sales offices) to Cat-5e.
· Replaced branch office access from dial-up to frame-relay; routers enhanced to support future VOIP initiatives.
· Replaced 10mb hubs with Cisco 4000 series switches, re-racked and wired central office wiring plant required port mapping, color-coding and legend documentation.
· Replaced CICS mini to RISC AS/400 midrange and core applications to meet Y2K compliance and enhance functionality.
· Re-engineered Order Processing system with internally-designed / developed “Quote Entry” / ”Purchasing Response” / ”Accounting Approval” systems; embedded `routing' policies and AS/400 POP3 “NetMail-to-Exchange”. This streamlined and enforced internal policy and procedures for material acquisition, account management and intra-departmental communications.
· RPGIII/CL on new or existing core applications. Pilot applications (ILE/CGI) using BCD Progen WebSmart on Apache.
· Implemented “DataJunction” ETL procedures to transform production data to summarized tables to support sales and account analysis.
· Implemented Windows Crystal Decisions Web Component Server w/ActiveX, HIT ODBC and OLEDB to access DB2 and MS/SQL.
· Managed in-house and contractor resources for the Dependable Intranet (combined HTML, ASP and JSP). Using Crystal Enterprise re-wrote and deployed all end-user key Daily Reporting and Analysis (Sales, Inventory, Accounting, etc.) to departmental-specific secure areas; moved ISO9002 procedures, Company policies, best-practices, “How-To” manuals, Company Calendar and contact information (phone extensions, names, etc) to this common medium.
· Managed internal Operations and Development staff as well as external full-time and part-time contractor resources.
· Implemented NT/4.0 and Win2000 Domain/security model.
· Implemented ScanMail to trap virus infections and spam content including automatic signature updates.
· Upgraded WatchGuard Firewall for VPN support and 128-bit encryption; then replaced 56k Internet access to T1.
· Implemented PPTP VPN-access for key sales and marketing executive's connectivity as well as IT management personnel for after-hour support. IP-Sec for SOHO's.
· Implemented CA “Control/IT” for remote control of user workstations and servers for IT support issues/training and “Surf-Control” to manage/monitor Internet usage.
· Implemented Server backup and recovery schema for user and application file secure off-site storage.
· Implemented SQL/7.0 Server w/backup and recovery to support Intranet data store and OLAP applications.
· Implemented Daily System Audits for ALL servers, network equipment and web sites to ensure availability.
Messaging and Fax -
· Replaced ISP-based e-mail with an internal MS Exchange server, backup and recovery, Replaced 100+ 95/98 desktops with standardized HP workstations running MS Workstation 4.0, Win/2000 Pro and XP Professional. Implemented Symantec (Norton) “Ghost” to clone machines ensuring consistent deployment and usability.
· Implemented ASA Omtool Fax Server, MS Exchange Gateway and Client-side components to provide desktop faxing for all workstations.
· Replaced proprietary Inter-Tel PBX with Artisoft (Vertical Communications) software-based PBX running Windows 2000 Professional Server; reduced multiple server boxes to one, consolidated management functions and deployed client-based TAPI (dial from Outlook Contacts) for call administration. Allowed mix of analog and digital stations, desktop call center handling, transfer, park, page and voice mail. Internally built call log auditing mechanisms against MS/SQL using Crystal for duration, count and abuse audits. Savings of $50,000 over proposed proprietary PBX solutions.
· Analyzed domestic and international long distance traffic then negotiated new long distance contract (Domestic and International); savings of $60,000 annually over previous carrier.
Oct/94 – Aug/99
Manager, Corporate Systems - All American Semiconductor - Miami, FL
Responsibilities included management of Network and Telecommunications Group, EDI and Electronic Commerce Group, Systems and P.C. Support Group and Administrative personnel. Responsible for all logistical issues related to new office openings. Directed personnel to support growth from $40 million to $250 million. Projects included:
Infrastructure, Networks and Operations -
· Migrated legacy applications to DEC Alpha Cluster. Coupled these to an ITC Raid 5 disk array to provide 4x throughput and response time to support ever-increasing demand (650+ employees).
· Project Manager for frame-relay implementation (initiative to replace outdated and inflexible branch data communications equipment with switch/router based modules to support TCP/IP and WAN); 34 offices. Savings of $200,000/year by reducing communication hardware support costs.
· Successfully managed internal and consulting resources for the acquisition and conversion of AVED, Inc.; a $40 million Kitting and Turnkey concern located in Tustin, CA. Consolidated 7 offices and 2 Unix-based systems into our existing systems; opened 3 new offices and added an additional 100+ employees.
· Stabilized all laser, dot matrix and thermal-transfer printers (150+ devices) and queues reducing the number of initialization routines (per device on startup) from 12 to 2. Saved process counts by eliminating 240 queues and, in turn, allowed cancellation of a memory upgrade project saving the company $80,000.
· Negotiated new contractual agreement with base application supplier on usage and upgrade of required software to migrate applications to an Alpha platform. Savings of $50,000.
· Stabilized Vax-cluster day-to-day operational and access requirements from an average of 65% to 99.99%.
· Installed hardware and developed routines to stabilized backup and recovery procedures. I.S. Operator intervention reduced from 4 hours/day to 10 minutes/day.
· Implemented Applix TM/1 Perspectives (OLAP multidimensional database system for EIS/DSS) to eliminate the accounting departments' dependency on batch jobs reporting. Reduced turn-around time for reporting Budget vs. Actual, P&L and Variance from 2 weeks to 5 minutes.
· Stabilized and automated daily reporting and processing (300+ routines) into a single concise Chron scheduler. Eliminated I.S. Operator involvement for running on nightly, weekly and Month-End closing procedures.
· Operations Project Manager during implementation of the Tolas-MRP system including Materials Management, Kitting, BOM's, and WIP warehouses (Fremont, CA., Miami, FL., Tustin, CA. and Chicago, IL).
· Moved the Development Group off of the production systems to a test environment. Developed a code management system (CMS) and implemented processes (TIP) to isolate development initiatives and ensure testing and sign-off prior to migration to production.
· Directed an initiative to provide end-users, customers and suppliers Internet E-Mail for worldwide communications on a DEC OSF/1Unix platform. Moved to MS Exchange in 1998 and Multinet as POP3 server. Also assisted EDI/Electronic Commerce personnel in operational planning for expanded EDI offerings.
· Replaced Seimens contractor-managed PBX with internally managed AT&T Definity PBX. Managed internal and external resources and established an in-house Telecommunications Department. Implemented on time and below $250,000 budget.
Nov/84 – Oct/94
Manager, Information Systems - H. Poll Electric Company - Toledo, OH
Responsibilities included systems management and information delivery, customer/supplier site visits and requirements planning, database management, tuning, network topology, security, training, P.C. configuration and support, EDI, application development and management of outsourcing partners. Three key accomplishments were:
· Coded and implemented Sales/Rebate Retrieval System to automate capture and reporting of rebates that were due. Since deployment in Jan-89' the company returned $500,000 annually to the bottom line in due rebates from manufacturers that were previously not realized.
· Deployed Gold-Fax (Vax-to-Fax) as an alternative solution to manual hand feeding of hard-copy documents (purchase orders and quotes) to manufacturers and customers respectively. Reduced turn around time 75%…ROI in less than 2 months.
· Installed Supply Tech software and hardware to support EDI transaction sets for major customers including General Motors, Cooper Tire and Ford Motor.
Current OS Servers includes: Win NT, 2000, 2003 Enterprise and 2003 Standard
Desktop OS includes: Windows3.1 / 95 / 98 / NT / 2000 / Me / XP Home / XP Pro / 2000 Professional
Server Applications/Infrastructures include: DNS, WINS, Active Directory, DHCP, IIS 6.0, WSUS (Windows Server Update Services), SQL Server 7.0 and 2000, Exchange 2003 Enterprise with OWA (Outlook Web Access) and Exchange 5.5, File Servers and Print Servers
Legacy integration includes: OS/400, Open/VMS, , , , , basic skills in RPGIII / CL / DDS, SDA, SEU. IBM Client Access, , & , , ,
Reporting, Support and Development tools include: , , , CA ERWin Data Modeler, Applix TM/1 Perspectives (OLAP), MapInfo (for demographic analysis), FrontRange Heat (Call Center Help Desk), CA "Control/IT", pcAnywhere, CoffeeCup Java Controls, , Quarbon Viewlets Interactive Help Systems.
PBX/Telcom include: ATT Definity, Inter-Tel and Artisoft TeleVantage.
IBM AS/400 RISC, Netfinity Servers w/RAID level 5, HP/Compaq, IBM and Dell Servers, WatchGuard Firewall, Cisco Switches, Motorola routers, DEC Alpha 1000 and 2100A clusters, Raid 5 Disk Arrays and Controllers, 802.11a-g wireless routers and security configuration, Storage-Works Disk Sub-Systems, Compaq/HP/Dell/Toshiba PCs and Notebooks, ATT Definity PBX/Infinity and VM, InterTel PBX and VM, TeleVantage PBX and VM, Intel Dialogic and configuration. Also Tape Sub-System, Penril and Newbridge Virtual-LAN, Mux-100/RMuxII, LXE IP-Base Radio Frequency Units and Handhelds, Terminal Servers, Dec-Hubs, Motorola and Cisco Routers, 90M Repeaters and Lasers.
Graduate, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, AACS, Major in Computer Science, Minor in Accounting, 3.2 GPA
Served 3 years as the Chairman of the Tolas Users Group of North America
Recommended to OCS (Officer Candidate School) United States Marine Corp
Microsoft MCP (NT)
Continuous Study/Lab Work in:
CompTIA A+, Network+, Project+/PMP
PMBOK Framework (Project Management Body of Knowledge)